Obtaining Free Credit and Background Screening Reports and Disputing Accuracy
[THIS NOTICE IS REQUIRED BY LAW]
Vertical Screen, Inc. through its subsidiary, Certiphi Screening, Inc., provides pre-employment and pre-contractual background checks to employers and other organizations. The following information will assist consumers to:
- Order a free copy of their credit report in accordance with the FACT Act;
- Order a free copy of your own Background Screening Report (if one was processed by Certiphi Screening, Inc. upon your authorization to a Certiphi Screening, Inc. client)
- Dispute the Accuracy of a Background Screening Report generated by Certiphi Screening, Inc.
- Provide contact information for Certiphi Screening, Inc.
FACT ACT Information
Free Annual Credit Report
The Fair and Accurate Credit Transaction Act (FACT Act) of 2003 that amended the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA), provides the ability for consumers to obtain a free copy of his or her consumer file from certain consumer reporting agencies once during a 12 month period. The Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA) requires the three national credit bureaus (Equifax, Experian and TransUnion) provide a consumer with a free copy of his/her credit report, upon request, once in a twelve month period. Free credit reports are available under the FCRA at: www.annualcreditreport.com, the only authorized source under Federal law; or call 1-877-322-8228, or mail your request to Annual Credit Report, PO Box 105281, Atlanta 30348-5281. You will need to provide your full name, address, SSN, date of birth as well as stating whether you would like your credit report from one, two or all three credit bureaus.
Obtaining your Background Screening Report from Certiphi Screening, Inc.
If you have previously had a background report run on you by Certiphi Screening, Inc. you may request a free annual file disclosure pursuant to the Free Annual File Disclosure Rule, 16 C.F.R. Part 610, under the following circumstances:
- Once in a twelve-month period. This is often referred to as a "Free Annual Disclosure," available from National Specialty Consumer Reporting Agencies.
- Within 60 days of consumer receiving an adverse action notification.
- Upon providing written certification that the consumer is unemployed and intends to apply for employment within 60 days.
- Upon providing written certification that the consumer is a recipient of public welfare assistance.
- Upon providing written certification that the consumer has reason to believe that the file on the consumer contains inaccurate information due to fraud.
The FCRA describes a "disclosure" as "all information in the consumer's file at the time of the request". Further, some state laws also entitle consumers to free disclosures and/or Background Report copies in other circumstances.
Regardless of whether any of the criteria listed above have been met, you may contact Certiphi Screening, Inc. and request a Disclosure and/or a copy of the Consumer Report/Investigative Consumer Report (Background Screening Report) of which you are the subject that we have prepared at the request of one of our clients. This service is provided at no charge to you. Please note that proper identification will be required.
Please note that Certiphi Screening, Inc. only prepares Background Screening Reports at the request of our client who must obtain authorization. Therefore unless you have previously authorized a prospective employer to obtain a Background Screening Report from about you, Certiphi Screening, Inc. will not have a file of which you are the subject. If you have not applied for employment with an employer that conducts pre-employment background reports, then you will not have a file with Certiphi Screening, Inc. Generally, a consumer will be informed of the name and identity of the background firm that was utilized by an employer on the Consent and Disclosure forms that an applicant must sign prior to a background report being requested.
To Request a Copy
If you have already submitted a request and have not yet received a response, please call toll-free phone – (800) 260-1680 to inquire as to the status of your request.
How to Dispute the Accuracy of Your Background Screening Report generated by Certiphi Screening, Inc.
To File a Dispute
Listed below are some additional resources the US Federal Trade Commission publishes to assist consumers.