DOT Waiver in Response to COVID-19 Emergency
Tags : DOT Compliance
The Department of Transportation (DOT) Federal Motor Carrier Administration (FMCSA) has issued a waiver from certain regulations applicable certain drivers operating commercial motor vehicles (CMVs).
This action is being taken in response to the President's declaration of a national emergency under 42 U.S.C. § 5191(b) related to Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19).
The waiver is effective March 20, 2020 and expires on June 30, 2020.
FMCSA has determined that it is in the public interest to issue a waiver, limited in scope and circumstances, which is likely to achieve a greater or equivalent level of safety than in its absence. The waiver is intended to allow the following drivers the ability to transport goods in response to the COVID-19 emergency:
- CDL - Commercial Vehicle License drivers;
- CLP - Commercial Learner's Permit holders;
- CMV - Commercial Motor Vehicle drivers; and
- Interstate NON CDL drivers
This waiver extends until June 30, 2020 and contains the following accommodations:
- Extends until June 30, 2020 the maximum period of CDL validity for CDLs due for renewal on or after March 1, 2020.
- Extends until June 30, 2020 the maximum period of CLP validity for CLPs that are due for renewal on or after March 1, 2020, without requiring the CLP holders to retake the general and endorsement knowledge tests.
- Waives the requirement that CLP holders wait 14 days to take the CDL skills test.
- Waives the requirement that CDL holders, CLP holders, and non-CDL drivers have a medical examination and certification, provided that they have proof of a valid medical certification that was issued for a period of 90 days or longer and that expired on or after March 1, 2020.
- Waives the requirement that, in order to maintain the medical certification status of "certified," CDL or CLP holders provide the State Driver Licensing Agency with an original or copy of a subsequently issued medical examiner's certificate, provided that they have proof of a valid medical certification that expired on or after March 1, 2020.
The contents of this announcement by the DOT does not have the force and effect of law and are not intended to bind the public in any way. This document is intended only to provide clarification to the traveling public regarding existing requirements under the law or DOT-agency policies.
Source: U.S. Department of Transportation
Posted: April 27, 2020
All Rights Reserved © 2020 Certiphi Screening, Inc.
This document and/or presentation is provided as a service to our customers. Its contents are designed solely for informational purposes, and should not be inferred or understood as legal advice or binding case law, nor shared with any third parties. Persons in need of legal assistance should seek the advice of competent legal counsel. Although care has been taken in preparation of these materials, we cannot guarantee the accuracy, currency or completeness of the information contained within it. Anyone using this information does so at his or her own risk.
What Our Clients Are Saying
Everyone I have contacted at Certiphi has been a complete pleasure to work with. The Certiphi customer service rivals every other customer service I come in contact with. Everyone is always so professional, yet super nice! Thanks for all you do and keep up the amazing work and impeccable service that you provide!!!
Thank you so much! You have such an incredible reputation within our office; I think we would all say your customer service levels are continually at about 125%!
The response time has been very quick. The turnaround times are great. I love your systems and that I can go in and look at the process as its going.
It’s such a great customer service that you provide and I’m happy to tell that to anyone.
Working with Certiphi has been such a pleasure. Certiphi has taught me so much, not just about backgrounds but also the meaning of great business.
We flew through our NCQA licensure review. We very much appreciate Certiphi's help in earning a 100% score for the files!