Michigan Clean Slate Bill Takes Effect This Month
Tags : Criminal Screening
On April 11, 2023, Michigan residents will start to see certain convictions automatically expunged from their records due to the Michigan "Clean Slate" bill.
Following a two-year implementation process after an April 2021 update to the bill, Michigan residents will have certain convictions automatically cleared from their public records.
Under the new law, a computer-based program has been developed for the setting aside of certain convictions. Convictions are eligible for automatic expungement include:
- Unlimited misdemeanors punishable by less than 92 days imprisonment, after seven years have passed since the date of imposition of the sentence;
- No more than four misdemeanors punishable by 93 days or more of imprisonment, after seven years have passed since the imposition of the sentence; and
- No more than two felonies after ten years have passed since the imposition of a sentence or completion of any term of imprisonment with the Michigan Department of Corrections, whichever occurs later.
Automatic expungement will only occur if there are no pending criminal charges or additional criminal offenses recorded in the Michigan State Police Criminal History Record database against the individual since the seven- or ten-year period.
Convictions of the following types are not eligible for automatic expungement:
- An assaultive crime;
- A serious misdemeanor;
- A crime of dishonesty;
- Any other offense punishable by ten or more year's imprisonment;
- Crimes involving minors, vulnerable adults, injury or serious impairment, or death;
- Human trafficking violations; and
- Certain traffic offenses, including:
- Operating while intoxicated;
- Committing a traffic offense while operating a commercial vehicle as a CDL holder; and
- A traffic offense involving injury or death.
These cleaned records are no longer accessible by public record. Therefore, as a result, certain records that used to be reportable to employers may no longer appear on a consumer report. It is recommended that employers review legislative changes together with their internal hiring teams. If you have any additional questions, please contact your account management team.
Posted: April 10, 2023
All Rights Reserved © 2023 Certiphi Screening, Inc.
This document and/or presentation is provided as a service to our customers. Its contents are designed solely for informational purposes, and should not be inferred or understood as legal advice or binding case law, nor shared with any third parties. Persons in need of legal assistance should seek the advice of competent legal counsel. Although care has been taken in preparation of these materials, we cannot guarantee the accuracy, currency or completeness of the information contained within it. Anyone using this information does so at his or her own risk.
Everyone I have contacted at Certiphi has been a complete pleasure to work with. The Certiphi customer service rivals every other customer service I come in contact with. Everyone is always so professional, yet super nice! Thanks for all you do and keep up the amazing work and impeccable service that you provide!!!
Thank you so much! You have such an incredible reputation within our office; I think we would all say your customer service levels are continually at about 125%!
The response time has been very quick. The turnaround times are great. I love your systems and that I can go in and look at the process as its going.
It’s such a great customer service that you provide and I’m happy to tell that to anyone.
Working with Certiphi has been such a pleasure. Certiphi has taught me so much, not just about backgrounds but also the meaning of great business.
We flew through our NCQA licensure review. We very much appreciate Certiphi's help in earning a 100% score for the files!