Alabama Legalizes Medical Cannabis
Tags : Drug Testing
In May, 2021, Governor Kay Ivey signed legislation permitting the use of medical cannabis to treat a set of specific conditions.
Known as the Darren Wesley "Ato" Hall Compassion Act, this new law permitting the use of medical marijuana is applicable for the treatment of conditions such as Crohn's disease, depression, epilepsy, HIV/AIDs, panic disorder, Parkinson's disease, persistent nausea and post-traumatic stress disorder. While the law became effective immediately upon the Governor's signature, medical cannabis will not be available for at least one year.
There are a variety of forms in which the substance may be utilized under this law; however, the substance may not be smoked, vaped or consumed as a food product. Recreational use also remains prohibited under this law.
Per the law, employer are not required to:
- Permit or accommodate the use of medical cannabis
- Modify positions and/or working conditions for employees who engage in the use of the substance
Furthermore, employers are not prohibited from:
- Refusing to hire, discharging, disciplining or engaging in an adverse employment action against an individual as a result of the use of medical cannabis, regardless of the individual's impairment or lack of impairment resulting from use of the substance
- Establishing or enforcing a drug testing policy, which may include terms prohibiting the use of medical cannabis in the workplace
- Implementing a drug-free workforce program established in connection with the state workers' compensation premium discount law
- Adopting a policy requiring employees to notify the employer as to the possession of a medical cannabis card
Additionally, the law does not:
- Impact any federal restrictions on employment, including those adopted by the U.S Department of Transportation or the workers' compensation premium discount available to employers who establish a drug-free workplace policy certified by the state's workers' compensation premium discount law
- Allow or authorize any individual's right to commence or undertake any legal action against an employer for refusing to hire, discharging, tenure, terms, conditions, or privileges of employment as a result of an individual's medical cannabis use
- Require a government medical assistance program, employer, property and casualty insurer or private health insurer to issue reimbursement for costs associated with the use of medical cannabis
- Affect an employer's right to deny, or establish legal defenses to, the payment of workers' compensation benefits to an employee on the basis of a positive drug test or refusal to submit or to cooperate with a drug test, as provided in the state workers' compensation premium discount law
- If the condition of the workers' compensation premium discount law are met, those discharged as a result of refusing to submit to a drug test or for using medical cannabis will be classified as having been discharged for misconduct
Employers should review the law and all internal policies regarding drug testing to determine if any revisions are necessary.
Posted: June 11, 2021
All Rights Reserved © 2021 Certiphi Screening, Inc.
This document and/or presentation is provided as a service to our customers. Its contents are designed solely for informational purposes, and should not be inferred or understood as legal advice or binding case law, nor shared with any third parties. Persons in need of legal assistance should seek the advice of competent legal counsel. Although care has been taken in preparation of these materials, we cannot guarantee the accuracy, currency or completeness of the information contained within it. Anyone using this information does so at his or her own risk.
Everyone I have contacted at Certiphi has been a complete pleasure to work with. The Certiphi customer service rivals every other customer service I come in contact with. Everyone is always so professional, yet super nice! Thanks for all you do and keep up the amazing work and impeccable service that you provide!!!
Thank you so much! You have such an incredible reputation within our office; I think we would all say your customer service levels are continually at about 125%!
The response time has been very quick. The turnaround times are great. I love your systems and that I can go in and look at the process as its going.
It’s such a great customer service that you provide and I’m happy to tell that to anyone.
Working with Certiphi has been such a pleasure. Certiphi has taught me so much, not just about backgrounds but also the meaning of great business.
We flew through our NCQA licensure review. We very much appreciate Certiphi's help in earning a 100% score for the files!